Servizi e-government, bilancio, passaporto, ici, delibere, risultati elettorali, pratiche edilizie, modulistica, segnalazione guasti, oggetti smarriti/ritrovati, stradario

The Municipality

Choose your settings:

Dimensione e tipo di caratteri
Caratteri standard.
Caratteri grandi.
Alta Visibilità.

Partnership with Las Rosas

History

1800 (the first years of the century): Many pioneers and soldiers of German and English origin settled down in the region in search of lands to conquer. People covered the road from Rosario to this area by wagons, which they used as mobile houses. The first pioneers carried with them sheep, whose they ate and drank meat and milk.

1864: Two important English families bought many hectares of land from Vernet brothers and built their farms there: the Kemmis family in Las Rosas (in the flat area) and the Dickinson family in Las Lomas (in the hilly area).

The name of Las Rosas (which means “the roses”) was chosen in honour of the United Kingdom emblems (the Queen Victoria reigned in those times). Two small villages near Las Rosas were respectively called Cardo (which means “cardoon”, the Scotland emblem) and Trifoglio (which means “clover, the Ireland emblem).

The farms, which were independent, became the first nucleus of the future cities. Their owners bred horses (also racehorses) sheep and cattle. The nearest town was Canada de Gomez.

1886: The President of the Argentinean Republic, Carlos Pellegrini, as suggested by the senator Ortiz, who was the owner of “Las Yerbas” farm, which included the territory of the present towns of San Jorge, Las Petacas and Sastre, signed the law for the construction of railway from Canada de Gomez to “Las Yerbas” farm, in order to transport goods, people and above all cereals. The railway was a crucial factor for the future development of the area. The difficulty in trading red meat in Europe (shortly before the refrigerator ship had been invented) led the proprietors to introduce the cereal production in the region. This new business activity required the presence of qualified labour, and in order to facilitate the settling of farmers in the area, the Governor of the Santa Fe' province offered to the owners an interesting tax exemption in exchange for surrender of some their lands, in order to found new towns here.

1888: (December) The provincial council approved the Las Lomas urban development project submitted by the Dickinson family.

1889: (February) The provincial council also approved the Las Rosas urban development project submitted by the Kemmis family, so the first builders and carpenters arrived here in order to build the town.

The two towns started to work independently, but they continued to cooperate. The first disagreement was due to the railway station: both the cities claimed it.

Thanks to the close friendship between a member of the Kemmis family and the Argentine Republic's President, Dr Carlos Pellegrini, the railway station was built in Las Rosas.

1889: (on the 20 th of June) The first train got into Las Rosas.

1889: (October) The police headquarters and a little chapel were built.

The history of the church is very funny: both the Kemmis and Dickinson were of Anglican denomination, but when the projects for the construction of the church were submitted, they donated their lands in order to build here a Catholic church. They knew that the majority of the immigrants were catholic and of Italian origin.

Most Italian immigrants were of Piedmontese origin, but there was a large number of families form Marches and Abruzzi. The Piedmontese immigrants came to Las Rosas with considerable assets and in the future they would aim to come back to Italy, while people from Marches and Abruzzi, who were much more poor, would remain here. Later on, some Spanish immigrants, who were of Basque origin, arrived in Las Rosas and here they started to produce milk and to work as grocers.

1892: As suggested by the Governor, Juan Manuel Cafferata, the two towns' government authorities gathered in order to decided their unification, which took place on the 14 th September 1892. The new town was called Las Rosas and in honour of the province council, which had promoted the unification, an old road connecting the two towns was named “Santa Fe'”.

The Italian Benefit Society “UNIONE E BENEVOLENZA”, which is the most ancient civil institution, was founded.

The first Town Council President was elected: he was Julio Pique, who belonged to a family of French origin.

1893: The city of Las Rosas became a parish.

1895: The first public school opened in Las Rosas and it was named after Manuel Belgrano. In the “California” farm, the Benitz family founded a rural school, where the children of the farm labourers and all those who worked for the Benitzs were educated. A member of the Benitz family married a lady, who was one of the many teachers that Mr Sarmiento called from abroad.

The sports, which were played in the region, were typically English disciplines, such as horse race and polo.

Mr Kemmis, a former captain of the British Army, who lived in Las Rosas from 1864 and 1895, was passionately fond of horses. He started to breed racehorses in his farm and achieved good results, but in 1895 this passion got him into debt, so he sold his farm to Mr Francisco Bueno and went back to England.

Mr Kemmis, the President C. Pellegrini, E. Kassey, who was the founder of Venado Tuerto, and C. Cassari instituted the Argentinean Yokey Club. Since then, every year, at the Y.C.A. Gran Prix, the first and the second prizes are dedicated to Mr C. Pellegrini and Mr Kemmis respectively.

Two of the Dickinson brothers (Enrique and Alfredo) settled down in this area and bought all the estates in Las Lomas, while the third brother (Tomas) got the landed property which was called “Los Cardos”. Afterwards the Dickinsons left the region, sold their estates to the Arostenghi family and since then we have not heard any more about them.

1896: The first “pulperia” (which is a sort of shop, coffee bar or meeting place), whose owner was Mr Vitalio Giordano from Canada de Gomez, was opened. We can still admire some remains of this place between Buenos Aires street and Lavalle street.

The old houses in Las Rosas were built with bricks and sand (building material which was transported by carts or by rail).

All the houses were equipped with a cellar, where food, salami and cold pork meat were kept.

The first building contractor in Las Rosas was the architect Enrique Chiesa, who belonged to a noble Swiss family. He built the houses of the Dickinsons and Kemmises.

1939: On the occasion of the 50 th anniversary of the city foundation, the local authorities decided to build a new church, which would have been larger than the old church and more suitable for the status of parish that Las Rosas obtained in 1893.

The new church design was commissioned the architects Bertolussi.

1967: Las Rosas became a city. The Las Rosas citizens elected their first Mayor: he was Francisco Culasso.