The Piermarini Theatre
The Piermarini Theatre was built in 1805 on the initiative of four citizens (Capeci, Acquacotta, Buti and Cameli) who financed the building works.
The architect Giuseppe Piermarini, who had retired to Foligno after a successful career at the court of His Majesty the Emperor of Lombardy, designed the theatre.
During his stay in the city of Milan , he also planned the Scala Theatre. Though the designs are autographs, the construction of the theatre cannot be ascribed to him.
The entrance leading to the stalls is perfectly in line with the front entrance that opened on to Via Civitella, which was the major street of Matelica till 1860.
The crowning tympanum is triangular shaped and it has a purely demonstrative purpose. The front does not present the distinctive features of the theatre facades.
In 1849 the architect Ghinelli supervised the restoration work, as after just 37 years the building showed structural faults. Therefore, the proscenium and the stage were widened; all boxes were reconstructed and it was changed the place of 24 upper-tier boxes that were rebuilt and set back from the stage.
In 1850 Giuseppe Recanatini was charged with the construction of six perspective wings and the painting of a big canvas representing the Town Square from the side facing the Church of Sufragio .
In 1873 the engineer Petrini carried out a new restoration. The repairs concerned the irregular hall and the stairs that were redrawn in circular segment shape. Therefore, the balcony of the fourth order was reduced; the roof and the vault, which was the only work dating back to the period of Piermarini, were pulled down to erect higher retaining walls.
The painting section was modified and entrusted to the painter Buccolini from Camerino. The gilding is a work of Luigi Carbonari, whereas the backdrops must be attributed to Malagoti.
The opening celebration took place in 1812 with the staging of various plays, such as “ Oh! Che originale” and “ Il filosofo sedicente di Musca” by Mayer.